All things BMW GS thread

My mate John is spitting feathers - he's got a recall notice for his '21 1250 Triple Black for the shaft drive. They now need maintenence every 12k miles, and replacement at 36k - he thinks the replacement is free at 36k but they'll charge for the 12k.
BMW should change for free, then inspect every 12k.

I wonder what they maintain?? In my opinion I didn't charge for a 1250 because I felt bmw had cheapened a lot of shit... The brakes for me pissed me off they switched from brembo to some American shit who made tank brakes and mountain bike brakes.. On a premium priced bike of 28000 euro it was piss poor. I don't ever remember anything being done on the shafts on mine and I normally done 40/50 k kilometers 🤔 is he sure he heard them rite?? 😆😆😆
Agree mate, they made a big mistake, build quality also suffered, they've since gone back to Brembo.
Yours will get a new shaft next service.

If you own a 2013 to 2021 model year BMW R1200GS, R1250GS or GSA variant you’ll want to know about the service campaign BMW will be implementing via its worldwide dealer network.
This is not a safety recall, but rather a preventative upgrade that will be performed free of charge the next time your bike is in for service, so no need to rush to your dealer. It involves the cardan driveshaft that is housed inside BMW’s Paralever single-sided swingarm unit.
 
BMW should change for free, then inspect every 12k.


Agree mate, they made a big mistake, build quality also suffered, they've since gone back to Brembo.
Yours will get a new shaft next service.

If you own a 2013 to 2021 model year BMW R1200GS, R1250GS or GSA variant you’ll want to know about the service campaign BMW will be implementing via its worldwide dealer network.
This is not a safety recall, but rather a preventative upgrade that will be performed free of charge the next time your bike is in for service, so no need to rush to your dealer. It involves the cardan driveshaft that is housed inside BMW’s Paralever single-sided swingarm unit.
I had an gs 800 adventure I loved... Took it off road in the alps the parallel twin mate by rotax was lovely.... They are now built in China and not cheaper it became a bmw piss take 😉
585.webp
 
He did about 40k miles on his previous one with no need for anything.
Our kid, must have done 100K on his previous GSA's not one shaft failure.
But a good few have been documented, hence the action.
I did mean to add, it applies to all R1200/1250 models from 2013 and the LC engine so includes R RS and RT models too.
 
My mate John is spitting feathers - he's got a recall notice for his '21 1250 Triple Black for the shaft drive. They now need maintenence every 12k miles, and replacement at 36k - he thinks the replacement is free at 36k but they'll charge for the 12k.
I had the letter the other day as they presume I still own The Panzer.
The 12K is advisory I think and the replacement is free as you say.
I’ll fish the letter out tomorrow and have a gander.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Dox
I wonder what they maintain?? In my opinion I didn't charge for a 1250 because I felt bmw had cheapened a lot of shit... The brakes for me pissed me off they switched from brembo to some American shit who made tank brakes and mountain bike brakes.. On a premium priced bike of 28000 euro it was piss poor. I don't ever remember anything being done on the shafts on mine and I normally done 40/50 k kilometers 🤔 is he sure he heard them rite?? 😆😆😆
Look up 1250 engine corrosion….
 
Had Helga's shaft (cardan shaft) replaced a couple of months ago, It went in to be checked during a regular service to see if it needed one before I went away to Portugal on it last year (July), and took this long to come in. The dealer said at the time there was no risk going to Portugal on the bike and they were out of stock as every dealer was ordering them for recalls. They also fitted a drain (drilled a hole and fitted a one way valve) to the underside of the swing arm as part of the recall. It was all free, but I won't be getting it changed every 12k if I'm expected to pay.
 
Back
Top Bottom