SuperBike Factory collapse leaves £27.8m debt as losses mount
SuperBike Factory's administrators say the failed motorcycle retailer had £27.8m of debt after losses of more than £30m over two years.
I travelled twice to buy bikes with mates in Manchester.. the stock was rough in Irish terms which surprised me I didn't see anything id touch but my mate was happy with his s1000rr beemer.. the Ducatis in stock were real shitters with badly sprayed body work.I think what we've seen is confirmation that with such a personal product as a motorbike, that you buy as much with your heart as with your head...maybe more - that large scale operators that can't give the kind of personal experience that a smaller more focused dealership can.
I know some dealers need two or more brands to make it work, but SBF didn't have any brand identity that people could align with.
I'm sure it was them I contacted a few years back, being nosey as to what they thought my ST4 was worth, initial response was 'not interested' (setting low expectation) and then a bunch of emails asking me to get in touch to discussHas we-steal-any-bike.com gone down as well? All part of the same venture capital group.
I was brought to look over the bmw and my van is a full size transit.. the salesman had been informed we were coming from Ireland and the bike was prepaid for, it was still buried on the shop floor and very tatty I asked for it to be pulled out to get a proper look at it and he said drive around the back so you can load .. I said I want to see it first and his reply its yours now mate ... me personally id have not been happy with the bike .well worn tyres barely washed and generally a very unloved machine which seemed to the business model .. not surprised they went titi upHas we-steal-any-bike.com gone down as well? All part of the same venture capital group.
@The skitz has a point. I went into one of those bike warehouses a few years ago. Can't remember if it was SBF but if not, something very similar. Bikes rammed in like sardines in a tin. Not very well lit or very clean. Little or no info on the individual bikes and sales staff not interested in providing any. Just there to take the money and push another one out the door.
Ever since, when I've been looking at Autotrader/MCN etc ads I scroll straight past any SBF listing.
I was brought to look over the bmw and my van is a full size transit.. the salesman had been informed we were coming from Ireland and the bike was prepaid for, it was still buried on the shop floor and very tatty I asked for it to be pulled out to get a proper look at it and he said drive around the back so you can load .. I said I want to see it first and his reply its yours now mate ... me personally id have not been happy with the bike .well worn tyres barely washed and generally a very unloved machine which seemed to the business model .. not surprised they went titi up
They could possibly have survived with their shoddy customer service and below par bike condition if they were also offering below dealer prices with the benefit of finance but in my experience they were average on price and then added on the hated by me admin charge on top so no good reason for anyone to buy from them. I`m sorry for those who lost their jobs but not for the loss of the dealerships.That doesn't work with emotional purchases...I bet they had very few repeat customers.