900GTS build...

Derek has inspired me...

I have woken up to Spring and started tackling the remaining works prior to reassembly of the old girl.

I went to see Russell and progressed my swinging arm mounting points; I need new ally blocks to support the SS spindle diameter which is slightly larger than the GTS spindle. The blocks will have the hole in the centre as opposed to eccentric as the Metmachex swinging arm already has really neat eccentric adjusters at the wheel spindle.

I can't reassemble the bike without these so they are critical path if I want to be at the Horsham Piazza run on the GTS - and leave the SS sulking in the garage. I used the SS to get to a meeting today, it was a b*gger to start and I wish I hadn't bothered, Paul Klatkiewicz, proprietor of Ducati Technical Services said don't wring it's neck until it is thoroughly warmed through - which takes 10 miles apparently. So I dutifully rode 10 miles at running in speeds and... guess how far it was to my destination? Yup, 10 miles. FX: Ooops. What was the point?

Anyway, today I have ordered:-
  • the FS1E Candy gold paint :D (3 litre kit 269.99+VAT+delivery=£335.69 GBP - FX: Choke! :sick:)
  • side panel decals for the 900GTS from the most excellent Classic Transfers

It's a start.

One more thing, looks like Öhlins DU 140 shocks are not easily available in the UK ATM, so shucks! I guess I'll have to settle on my Fontana's for the GTS and I won't have to shell out £750 for shiny new Öhlins; What a blow! I think my wife will be pleased.
 
Last edited:
1/ Hmmm not sure i agree with Klatkiewicz. I might agree on a plain bearing engine but a roller bearing engine ?
2/ If its a bugger to start its not set up right. It should start through will power almost.
 
Compression seems good, might need shimming after nearly 1,800 miles. Could be something to do with 35 year old ignition components. It hasn't done it for a while , it has been an easy starter but I did have to lube the ignition switch the other day; Might need a dismantle & contact clean.
 
It shouldn't need shimming for years. when i saw it you started it first kick. I suspect its something peripheral as you say, switch contact or pilot jet dropped off into the float bowl.... something silly .;)
 
How long did it sit since it was last run? With modern unleaded, any fuel left in the float bowls will evaporate and can gum up the pilot jets. I always recommend turning off the taps and running the engine until the carbs are dry any time that a bike is going to be sitting for more than a week or two.
 
This is my SS and I have been using it a lot to complete running in before Spring. It used to be a right PITA at starting especially just after the rebuild, but it has really settled down since then and has been a doddle to start - until I had a meeting appointment yesterday and I ended up bumping it.

I am seriously tempted to stick a Silent Hektic ignition in it; It is running a nearly new run in engine with nearly new carbs; Apart from a service/shim there isn't too much else I can fiddle with/replace apart from the 34 year old electronics.

Edit: I didn't see your post, Derek. I wouldn't remove it from the GTS - I'd buy another. I was hoping to keep the SS largely standard, I do have spare coils & transducers so I might give those a shot first.
 
Last edited:
See what the spark is like, a good indication is how far it will jump. Dont discount shorting plugs either, Modern fuel can kill the insulation.
My Audi simply kills Bosch plugs in 1000 miles and will only run on NGK.....and Audi fit Bosch as std :)l
 
Spring has sprung...

At least, we have passed the equinox even if it's still a bit nippy. Derek has blown me into the weeds so I am now quietly truckin' along. The metalwork is in for spraying with Tony at Cycleworks. It turns out Tony did some paintwork for me about twenty five years ago, all good with no mistakes or whinging as I experienced with the guy who did my SS. I was tempted to go back to the guy who did the SS but it would have been like saying 'Hey, I know you treated me like crap last time but no worries!'. I just couldn't.

Anyway, I am expecting a spectacular job on time, on budget without any mistakes and by the way, he is significantly less expensive. I guess that old saying about getting what you pay for holds true; I am getting less whinging so it will cost less.

I got started yesterday on the build, starting with fitting the yokes; My wife noticed and announced 'I see you have got yourself another Italian mistress'; Fortunately no further questioning ensued or I'd be done.

That all went well and the steering feels very smooth with its nice new bearings. The eagle eyed may have noticed it is a sort of metallic grey, generously called silver by the suppliers. Grey, then ;-)

DSCF0899.jpg


Followed today with a stint fitting the crankcase saving kit by BevelHeaven. It is pretty easy - and it arrives with a good 'HOWTO' sheet...
CrankcaseProtector.jpg


Here the frame is marked up...
DSCF0898-1.jpg

and drilled, tapped and fitted...
DSCF0904.jpg

From the inside, showing the Delrin 'bung'...
DSCF0903.jpg

DSCF0902-1.jpg

I must say, the GTS frame is heavy!
The Metmachex swinging arm going on the bike looks like this...
DSCF0942-1.jpg

The swinging arm allows the use of wider tyres - which really doesn't bother me at all. It does have much neater eccentric chain adjusters than the originals, the subject of which is another post.
 
Last edited:
Typical Aussie instructions
If your bit does not fit give it a small chamfer with a file, rubbing block or "RUB IT ON CONCRETE" :)


All this building give me the need to create...but i simply do not have the time or space :(
 
That case protector looks very neat and makes me wish I'd fitted one. My front sprocket was in good nick so I reused it, but it's a 16 tooth which leaves little clearance between the sprocket and the case. I believe the standard sprocket for these engines is 15t - but I remember in 1978 changing to a bigger sprocket for more relaxed cruising and I do like the gearing this way.
I like the "quiet" grey frame colour. Is it paint or powder coat? Let's see how the FSIE gold looks! I had a purple FSIE but replaced it with a gold RD200 - which felt like a rocket at the time.

I'm going to enjoy viewing the remainder of this thread now that I've got nothing else to do. One thing is certain - it will be the most spectacular transformation from where you began. Nothing could have been a worse starting point! Make sure it's posted in Paddy's new Rogues Gallery!
 
I have another tank & set of side panels too, so I am going to have a Swatch kind of bike, gold one day, and Ummm... :baffled: let me see, green or amaranth the next ;).

I have absolutely no idea how it will look in FS1E gold, it's just a bit of fun; I think the metalflake silver 'undercoat' for the translucent gold is much more flaky than the standard, so it may well be ' really quite gaudy'. I also don't know what it will be like changing gear in platforms or if my flares will get caught in the chain :eek:.

I have been busy buying nuts, bolts, master cylinder repair kits and other niggly but important bits from Andrew. It has been quite nice to find that I bought a lot of stuff last year which is quite expensive such as new instrument pods & clips, clutch lever assembly and seat & headstock locks, all of which add up. It is also a pleasure putting together nice freshly painted or chromed bits with new parts. It is quite exciting! All frame parts & brackets were powder coated by Vulcan Stove Enamelling who I thoroughly recommend, they prime all parts with a corrosion resistant coating prior to the top coat; I was expecting it to be more silvery but it does look nice. Non standard of course so there will be no concours wins for me ;) Am I bothered? Yes actually :lol2:.

WRT the gearing, this is the info I have for the GTS:-
Code:
Standard Transmission Primary Gear Ratio: 36 - 69         1.917
Nova Racing Transmissions Primary Gear Ratio: 32 - 70         2.1875

Final Drive 2.533 (900GTS)
5th: 0.887
4th: 1.000
3rd: 1.204
2nd: 1.562
5st: 2.237

Final drive ratio (chain) 860GTS 16 front 40 rear 16/40 = 1/2.500 from manual
Total Ratio Engine/Wheel = 1/4.85

15/40 = 2.667
Because I have the Nova Engineering straight cut primary drive in the engine, I have to compensate by dropping the size of the front sprocket from 16 to 15 teeth; Even so it will be geared for acceleration not top speed.

I hope you will make the Horsham run, Derek; I might have a few problems with Bristol however enticing it sounds as it is both our anniversary & my wife's birthday in short order in that part of April.

Paddy, surely you can't miss the Horsham run? Think of all of those customers? Including me :thumbs:.
 
Last edited:
I bought a set of these, mistakenly believing they had 12mm thread when in fact they are 7/16" UNF. In my defense I don't remember them being so well marked :embarassed:.
7-Sixteenths-Footrests-2.jpg

So I welded 7/16 UNF lugs onto my GTS frame...
DSCF7684.jpg

It doesn't matter what the footrests are as long as you have a friendly welder, necessity is the mother of invention ;).
 
Ducati footrest threads are a law unto themselves. Yes looks like a bit of welding needed, i just wondered if any one made a bolt on set ? its not something i have ever come across, everything except Darmah.
 
Brake master cylinder, lefty gear change i suspect ?
Yes indeedy, if you look at the ally swinging arm above it is a disk brake swinging arm.

It's why I need to machine up a couple of spigots to fit the eccentrics.

I made three changes to the frame:-
  1. added rearset mounting points
  2. added rear master cyclinder mounting points
  3. added a rear mounting point for a RH side stand handle to match the LH side. I thought they make great bungee mounting points for my planned trips.

I also repaired the front seat mounting point which had abandoned ship at some point.
 
Yes i looked at those but the guy has 13 negative feedbacks for non delivery !! I think as they are universal there are prob better options TBH. Looking through my box of bits i have a set of S2 rests and levers...hmmmmmm. thinks :idea:
 
Last edited:
I got an ignition switch from that guy. It was cheap (€23) and it arrived quickly. It's a pretty crappy quality switch and at first I couldn't get a key into it. Now it's working tolerably.

Paddy - are you building something new yourself on the quiet? You seem to be buying up bits but not selling them. I reckon you've still got that clutch cover. Come on - spit it out!
 
No no, that just needs a quick run over with the Dyson :)

I am pondering a build around a Darmah but i will have to fit in round work so will be long term. fortunately all the salable bits on a Darmah are the bits i dont want like clocks and idiot lights, mudguards and tank seat, exhaust and footrest assemblies. I dont know...just thinking out loud really. Problem is with a Darmah is even a decent racing tank and seat is difficult where as its easy for a SS or 860..hmmmmmm....Then their is the old back..will it hold out in boy racer mode again. :)
 
Last edited:
DiscoVolante do two very good ethanol safe glass tanks: The first is for a narrow frame, the second is for the wide frame.

I think I have already had a narrow frame DiscoVolante tank which I sourced off eBay and it didn't fit either of my SS frames at all. It wasn't even close, too narrow at the back so it sat up high; This is the tank over which we did a deal. It was a very nicely made tank.
DSCF7876.jpg


So I think the narrow frame will fit your Darmah whereas I need the wide frame for my SS frames.
 
Last edited:
Shiny bits...

I was hoping to pick up my newly made spigots however Mark the engineer has gone off skiing with his son! So I am envious, pigged off and can't fit the swinging arm!

I picked up a few bits from Angelo who runs A M Metal Polishing in Cowfold. See for yourself the lovely quality of his work. He charged me £60 for polishing every alloy piece you see.
DSCF0998.jpg


And individually, the fork lowers, these were heavily crazed even though I had already machine polished them; Angelo reckons a/ they were left out a long time (true) and b/ they are porous (almost certainly true) which means they were heavily & deeply corroded.
Before...
24413GTS7.jpg

and after...
DSCF1004.jpg


Cam bearing support castings, before...
24413GTS6.jpg

and after...
DSCF1003.jpg


Pattern alternator cover from MDina, which is a nice bit of ally but comes rough cast, here it is done...
DSCF1002-1.jpg


If you like any of this, here is how to find the man. Please let him know how you found him.

Mr. Angelo Morreale
A M Metal Polishing
Unit B1
Oakendene Industrial Estate
Bolney Road
Cowfold
West Sussex RH13 8AZ

Email: am_metalpolishing@btconnect.com
Tel: 01403 864296
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom